Friday, December 1, 2006

I am not a theatre reviewer

that is why Alison Croggon's Theatrenotes link is to the right. She also claims not to be a reviewer (later note: see comments for correction of that fact) but is the best one Melbourne has. Which is all by way of drawing your attention to the fact that she has started something really important, to which Ben Ellis has also added some typically thoughtful comments.If it can go a few more rounds (very un-Australian if it did), it could get even more interesting. In the meantime, Mr. Woodhead and Ms Croggon are united in their appreciation of 11th Hour's For Samuel Beckett. This is my first Melbourne must-see for the last two years (OK, I've been away for most of those!) read Alison again here, see it, and then start suggesting loudly and publicly that Peter Houghton should be knighted for his performance as Hamm (and if there is some technical hitch with that formality, somebody give him a Green Room Award)

4 comments:

Chris Boyd said...

Does Alison claim not to be a reviewer? Or does she just say that that particular post is not a review? (Cos she didn't stay 'til stumps.)

Anyway, welcome 'home'. Good to see more talent blogging. :)

C

our man in berlin said...

ahh, extremely well spotted. Double-checking I realised I was referring to Alison's distinction between being a journalist and being a blogger, which I thought was a very good one (and rules me out as being a journo on the grounds of inaccuracy)...thanks for the welcome, Seems I'm in good company!

Chris Boyd said...

Hey, I expect you to tell me if/when I fuck up. Seriously.

But, yeah, exciting days. Finally, we're getting a range of smart, informed opinion. We'll be burning broadsheets next. :)

Alison Croggon said...

Hey Daniel, welcome to the blogosphere - and thank you. I do claim to review, but yes, as a blogger. If the blogosphere merely turns into a cyber version of the mainstream arts coverage we all know and love, we're all stuffed. Let's not let that happen.

I am, sincerely, hoping the discussion continues as a discussion - thanks Chris for your contribution, I'll get there - and doesn't erode into something else. A couple of things worry me.

And yes, this growing range of opinion is, well, brilliant. Ditto on the fuck-ups, too.