Monday, February 19, 2007

Why I am doing this Part 1

Today, Cameron Woodhead writing in The Age referred to a "neutral Australian" accent. Coincidentally, yesterday I was sharing my German copy of Les Murray's Freddy Neptune which is billed as a "translation from the Australian English", and not so coincidentally, I have been branding my own translations as "from the German into Australian English". It warms my provincial heart. Hopefully my spell-checker will catch up soon.

In other big news, I have added the German text to my Rilke translation, both for the pedants, and so that the rhyming scheme can be admired. I have also added a photo of fire-woman, designer and all-round theatre genius Margie Mackay to the "Golem" post.

Supernaut posted blog#1000 recently. I'd like to celebrate with a joke:

There are only ten different sorts of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Reading true blog-veterans makes me aware that I have lobbed in at a moment when everything is ridiculously easy. Mine is a pret-a-porter template with only a few minor hacks (courtesy of Hackosphere). Apart from admiring the pioneers, I have been aware that my current layout actually mitigates against the complex thought. A bit like those of us that still find long-hand writing a better way of thinking, this template discourages the essay.

That leads to the fact that this blog is by nature aimless. It was started as a reaction (loss, dislocation, home) not an action. The "why I am doing this" begs to be answered. The beginning of an answer is that the format has imposed it's own requirements. In a strategy that I often use on stage, I have recently decided to react to the limitations of the template, not by reformatting, but by accepting them as an interesting stretch:

This template is suitable for pictures and short texts. Because I have a little experience either with photographs or with brevity, that is exactly what I am going to stick with! For the moment, at least. Hope it's worth a visit now and then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're always worth a visit, and thanks for the 1000 post mention (though mt still thinks I'm a few short …)

And it was Iain Banks who taught me the digital (haha) binary counting method


supernaut