Friday, May 4, 2007

Friday Fun



You've got 11 days to disagree (and alter) this assessment of me. Now, I would have hoped for something a bit more, well, handsome than a raccoon, but that would contradict the "modest" bit wouldn't it? Thanks Alison, this is fun!

The Alethiometer is also a pretty good representation of a wonderful idea but nevertheless, I am in the process of begging friends to read the trilogy before Kidman and Co. embalm our fantasies forever.

Also giving me joy, Credible Witness is providing the perfect warm-up to the Eurovision Song Contest by posting some old goodies. You know you love it and don't pretend it's in some groovy/ironic way either, you just love it. Apart from one unforgivable lapse of taste (Finland.'06. Genius.) Lauren is the one to get us there. This entry particularly, is very, very special.

Don't get me wrong, Lysandra is a lovely name and I really don't mind the part-soulful, part- "I just pee-ed on your pillow and I'm not going to apologise"-look of the thing but a raccoon? Really?


4 comments:

Alison Croggon said...

It's a very cute raccoon, Daniel - I spent ages clicking the Alethiometer, it's actually almost as enchanting as a real object.

And I'm making my smallest son read it before the movie comes out for the same reason.

Eurovision is marked in my diary, I'm not going anywhere. It's a big night in with the chips and chocolates for me. I loved last year's German cowboys and cacti, myself.

Anonymous said...

daniel, it looks like a rabbit to me. that's sweet. Anyway i got a jackal, must be my laugh hehehe. And my homeland won the eurovision! I think.Us serbs are so good at so many things

our man in berlin said...

Alison, you'll be glad to know I did come to love my raccoon, before she changed into a ragged cat-thing, then a hare, then a mouse, then a tiger, now a mouse again...it's well past the 11 days and it ain't fixing itself! For those of you who don't know the book, this suggests that I am in perpetual adolescence, hmmm, there are many who would agree with that assessment.

Mila, congratulations! Would you like to join me? I'm hoping to get an entry into Eurovision next year, sort of Australia-as-a-pan-European paradise-type qualification. The band could be called The Dutch Elms, you could do costumes...Serbia '08! where the jackals roam free...

Lauren said...

So I have finally had a chance to catch up on Eurovision and it was terrific! I hope you enjoyed it as well. Nothing beats Romania's entry though, the entrants this year were a bit self aware of the kitsch level, rather than ploughing naively into prop and costume land as Romain so proudly did in 2003. Watching Romanis again I find myself struck by two things: 1) How is that song only three minutes long, it takes forever, 2) Is the female dancer wearing an infinite amount of bodices??

As a side note, people in the UK and Europe don't understand the passion for Eurovision. I think it is all wasted on them, chuck out the UK and let Australia in!!!