Friday, January 5, 2007

be noice



Both Theatrenotes and Supernaut have picked up on John McCallum's blazingly good essay. I only wish that all those colossal wastes of tax-payer's money from Nugent on, had concluded the same.

Apparently, this is to be the first in a series of essays in The Australian. Can't wait. Meanwhile in The Age, resident Grand Poo-Bah of Everything Michael Shmith has strayed from his usual arts beat into political territory...now, I've made a few New Year's Resolutions one of which I can't bear to break so early in the year, so I will not comment, but read it for yourself.

And a little congratulation to acting graduate Beth Cleary who was a deserving recipient of the women@minterellison Rising Star Award. Her body of work in 2006 included my gore-fest, Touch Me, I'm Sick. Pictured above is a (live-videofeed) photo of Beth singing a rousing version of "Johnny Appleseed" to a soon-to-be-mutilated Japanese exchange student.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Daniel,

Great blog. All hail Alison Croggon and her holy blogroll.

Hate to coax you into New Year's resolution-breaking, but let's face it it's almost 10 days into the year so if you haven't broken them by now it's about time...

Ergo: please DO comment on the Martin Shmith piece. I'm interested by both the divided opinion that Borat seems to have created, and Shmith's musings on cyber-heads-on-spikes. What are your thoughts?

Ben.

our man in berlin said...

Ben, sorry about the delay. Michael Shmith has, with his cd reviews, enriched my musical appreciation no end over the years and Borat is a creation of genius. So I can't help you with those, but I am going to quote from today's Age.

Under the title "Sundance courts controversy with child rape film" a reprinted NY TIMES article quotes Dakota Fanning's co-star Afemo Omilami as saying, "I don't know what people are so upset about...Believe me, Deborah [Kampmeier, the director] is going to be so tasteful and subtle. She's handling this in such an artistic way..."

To which I say, "I bloody well hope not..."

Compare this with Shmith's, "A fine writer is able to tell us enough, but not enough to rob the event of all its ghastly power."

It's a classic trap that a particular breed of critic (and artist) fall into; the insidious confusion about the role of art, and the idea that art is somehow better, more "moral" when it shields us from, or "ennobles" reality, that I am worried about.